Tuesday, January 2, 2007

Sublimation, Part Deux


To paraphrase my fabulous The American Heritage Illustrated Encyclopedic Dictionary, when you sublimate, you're transforming something into a more socially acceptable form of expression...like changing your frantic rantings into a compelling, coherent query letter.

But sublimation is a scientific concept too. Alas, I am not at all scientific. I stand as a stupefied child at the wonders of the universe. I took the two-year "Science for Dummies" survey course at my college. And I'm not precisely a dummy---I did graduate when I was only nineteen, after all. Although I must say when I reread the English papers I wrote way back when, I don't understand them anymore!

My son and his wife own an art gallery in Key West, and they use sublimation every day. Here's what they have to say about it on their web site:


Now... call it art or physics, SUBLIMATION is the art form that we have been specializing in for the last two years.
What is sublimation?
Although the term SUBLIMATION sounds a little daunting, sublimation, as a process, is less intimidating:
It is the method of applying an image onto specially prepared items of ceramics, cloth, metals, and plastics using three primary ingredients: special sublimation inks/pigments, heat and pressure.
Sublimation inks are unique in their ability to convert from a solid to a gas without going through a liquid form (just like dry ice). The conversion is initiated by heat and controlled with pressure.
So what does that mean? It means beautiful colors and high definition images on your ceramic coffee mugs, tiles, murals, mouse pads, puzzles, etc.



I'm jealous. I want those beautiful colors and high definition images. Where is my sublimation equipment, dammit?

What images do you long to see on your pages, as a reader or a writer? And if you write, what steps are you taking to transform yourself from civilian to writer? You know mine. I'm chanting the blog's title!




4 comments:

Tessa Dare said...

Dangit, I need that equipment, too. I have discovered that physical description is one of my biggest weaknesses as a write. I see it in my head - why can't readers read my mind? I mean, it was just brought to my attention that halfway through my book, I still have not clearly established the relative heights of my h/h. Duh. I need sublimation equipment bad.

Tessa Dare said...

OK, that would be "one of my biggest weaknesses as a writer."

The other being spelling.

Maggie Robinson said...

You know, though, E/T, my eyes glaze over when I have to wade through too much description. I'm sure you're hitting a happy medium.
It's lovely (and unusual) to find a sparkling image with just a few words.

And I'd much rather imagine the h/h my way as opposed to the often-awful art on the covers, too!

C said...

Today, I was paying attention to a book I was reading--I mean, not reading it for the book, but reading it for the writing.

There's a LOT of stuff in there. Everyone's every little move is described. Whoa. I don't do that. And I should, especially since I just wrote a very, very confusing scene....