Friday, March 2, 2007

Le Chat au Chapeau


As you know, I work in a high school library. Among my duties, I am responsible for book displays and generally adding a note of cheer wherever I can. I do the latter by visiting online sites that list peculiar holidays, and I make mini-posters for the library to “celebrate.” For example, March 5-11 is National Procrastination Week, but I haven’t made the poster yet. I won’t worry about that until Panic Day, which is March 9.

Today, March 2, is Read Across America Day, and also officially marks The Cat in the Hat’s 50th birthday. I am somewhat ashamed to say I found Dr. Seuss books extremely annoying when my kids were little, but I’ve since seen their value. And you must give Theodore Geisel credit, when he said writing is “like being lost with a witch in a tunnel of love.” So, happy birthday, Cat, and happy birthday, Dr. Seuss! I’ll be reading And Then He Kissed Her by Laura Lee Guhrke in their honor. What will you be reading?

4 comments:

lacey kaye said...

Still laughing at your intent to procrastinate the calendar....

TiffinaC said...

Does this mean I can procrastinate at work?
And I still love the Cat in the Hat.
What do I plan on reading???? Let's see, still reading Feehan's Deadly Game, then on to Guhrke, and then I'll hit my ginormous tbr bile without buying more books this week.. Wait take that book there's a few new books I HAVE to pick up....Here's to hoping the new JR ward and Elizabeth Vaughan hit the shelves early!

Janga said...

Maggie, I spent the afternoon with a five-year-old who knew all about the anniversary because his class had a party Friday. We sent an ecard to celebrate the Cat's birthday (which will lead to Random House's donating a book to First Book). And then we read Horton Hears a Who because even though our charmer likes the Cat, Horton is his favorite.

As for me, I am reading Gaston's Innocence and Impropriety. Guhrke is next.

Pam Skochinski said...

I'm reading Nora Robert's Circle Trilogy (I'm on Valley of Silence). My daughter just finished Twitches. And my boys are hooked on Railway Rhymes (all about Thomas and his friends). So, no Seuss for us. . . although The Grinch is my all time favorite!