Friday, July 13, 2007

RWA WAR


No, there are not tremors in the romance universe. Everything is probably hunky-dory in Dallas. It’s just me, warring with myself about finally filling out the application and writing the damn check to the Romance Writers of America. Why has it taken me so long (almost four years) to do what’s indubitably good for me? Why, when every published author states how useful RWA membership is, have I consistently ignored good advice and gone my own independent and doomed way? It’s definitely time for a change. I’m done with self-sabotage (and hope this blog doesn’t contribute to it further!).

I’m joining. Maybe not the local Maine chapter, which is a couple of hours away, but I should join that too. Looks like they have lunch and then workshops every third Saturday of the month. I mean, what do I usually do Saturdays? Oh, write. Right.

Now I can take courses, enter contests and get useful feedback. I have discovered I am a writer who (mostly) loves to write books but not query letters or synopses. That needs to change too, and will. I’ve got three and two-thirds books done, and a few novellas that are just waiting to be Restylaned into nice, plump novels. I had a hell of a lot of fun writing them. Maybe they’ll never get published. Time is not on my side. But…

I tend not to have regrets about mistakes, though, because I wouldn’t be me without them. One hundred dollars is little enough to fork out when RWA membership might help me figure out exactly what will work for me. And maybe I can even go to San Francisco next year. If nothing else, it will give me the impetus to lose twenty pounds, buy new shoes and meet some of my online friends.

Are you an RWA member? Any perks which have worked? Are you putting off taking your medicine on something you know you really should swallow? What should you be doing RIGHT NOW?

Friday the 13th Accomplishments:


Called pharmacy four days after prescription ran out
Scheduled doctor’s appointment I was supposed to make two months ago
Drove into town, mailed student book club books back that have been in my car a month
Sent two books and a monkey (stuffed) to Juliette that I bought in April
Mailed Stephanie's prizes three days after picking the little piece of paper with her name on it from the pile (Thanks, everybody---you are tea-riffic!) and returned overdue library book only three days late, checked out four new books, went to Wal*Mart and bought two more,drove home
Folded the laundry that’s been in the dryer for two days, did another load
Wrote and posted this blog

SENT CHECK TO RWA!!!

You need not expect to get your book right the first time. Go to work and revamp or rewrite it. God only exhibits his thunder and lightning at intervals, and so they always command attention. These are God's adjectives. You thunder and lightning too much; the reader ceases to get under the bed, by and by. Mark Twain- Letter to Orion Clemens, 3/23/1878

13 comments:

elyssany said...

Maggie, your list sounds an awful lot like mine. Oh wait, I still haven't hit the grocery store despite needing to go there for the past week. Heck, I have frozen food and other stuff. I hate grocery shopping.

I haven't joined my local chapter either---I'm really bad at keeping appointments and going places where I know it's a set time, etc. I get urges to cancel and usually do.

But I'm really, really, really thinking about going to the San Fransico conference.

marciamellow said...

Good luck with the MWA! Sorry to be so late posting a comment about tea, but I've been in shock...My railroad connection had the nerve to RETIRE! So now I must find another kind soul who will bring my King Cole to me! I can't even depend on Dad anymore...he doesn't have a passport, and at 91 I'm pretty sure he won't be getting one anytime soon..(he was also born in Canada and naturalized, so that would probably cause another whole set of problems...)
Enjoy your summer!!
ce

Maggie Robinson said...

Marcia, Marcia, Marcia...sorry, I couldn't resist. I'm down to my last box, and then I'll be ordering it online. What I drank on vacation was so wretched it's no wonder people don't like tea. Any chance of you making a western jaunt? Say hi to Louise. ;)

Ely, I also hate grocery shopping, but I was pretty excited to tick all those things off my list. And SF does sound like it would be fun. I was there a million years ago.

anne said...

Brava, Maggie! But please don't be so hard on yourself for not joining RWA earlier. The last I heard, neither Jane Austen nor any Bronte was ever a member!

RevMelinda said...

Maggie,
My only Friday the 13th accomplishment was going out to dinner with Husband for our upcoming anniversary. Of course, we whacked the flower delivery van as we backed out of the garage, which kind of cast some gloom on the evening.
Melinda

Maggie Robinson said...

Anne, funny you should mention Jane. She's the subject of my next post!

RevM---hope you (and the car) are okay.That's no way to start a romantic evening, even if you hit a FLOWER van! Happy anniversary!

anne said...

Maggie, I'm going to read that new, Austen post right now!

RevMelinda, so sorry about the car! On Friday the 13th, of all days! How good that nobody was hurt. Take care, and good luck with the insurance!

RevMelinda said...

You all are wonderful to send me your good wishes! The accident was one of those Completely Freak Things. Actually, we were going so slowly that the only thing damaged on our car was the thin film of dust on the bumper. The delivery van had a couple scratches in his dust--not even a dent, really--but the driver/delivery guy insisted on doing all the formalities in a very pedantic (ok, and insulting) way. So we'll see!

Ericka Scott said...

I joined RWA back in March. There's no local chapter anywhere near me (okay, LA, but that's a 2-2.5 hour drive!). Back in 1998, we had a local chapter but it folded (not really sure why?- we had a pretty active membership)

I enjoy the RWRs and I joined the online Passionate Ink chapter (love it!)

Other than that...it's a membership to list on my query letters. Shows I'm "serious" about my writing, I gues...

Maggie Robinson said...

Ericka, I think for me too the online thing is the way to go. I'm just looking forward to being more "in the know." Thanks for the rec!

midwestgal said...

At least you've written & currently writing something Maggie. I wanna attend at least one RWA in my lifetime and I'm not writing anything at the moment, haha.

terrio said...

WTG, Maggs! Sounds like you got a ton of stuff accomplished. I joined my local RWA chapter back in May and then the national chapter by the end of June. It does provide some great resources and ecourses but there are many grumblings after this conference on some rule changes. I'm afraid it's not always the happy-go-lucky place it seems to be from the outside.

I too want to get to San Fran but I can't make any guarantees this far in advance. But getting to meet all the online crowd would be worth the money I'm thinking.

Keira Soleore said...

Maggie: Yay again! You're in!

Ter: You're absolutely going to SF. How the heck would I meet you otherwise?!?!