Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Pot Calling Kettle Back

We have previously discussed my tea addiction, but I’ve recently discovered I’m also addicted to my homely Revereware tea kettle. Two have served me throughout my marriage, except for my brief fling with a yellow enamel thing that got tossed on the scrap heap long ago. I’m about to indulge myself with my third Revereware kettle, purchased not out of necessity but severe nostalgia and withdrawal.

A few weeks ago my husband noticed that the old kettle had lost its whistling ability. It didn’t matter to me. Usually I’m hanging out by the kitchen window watching the garden grow or the snow swirl while I wait for the water to boil. And I always snatch it off the stove before it goes into the earsplitting shriek mode anyway. Its inefficiency bothered him, however, and before I knew it, he’d thrown away the old one and got me something that was silver and whistled---but it’s just not right. The handle feels hot to me, the spout is tricky to open, and it’s just not right. It is probably more handsome than the Revereware design, which has always reminded me somehow of a ladybug, but I don’t like it. At all. So unbeknownst to my dearest husband, I am expecting a box from Amazon any day now. And then his new kettle will magically disappear.

Life is short. Everybody has something that they just have to have to make time on Earth more comfortable. Some simple thing. A cup of tea. A good book. I’ve recently discovered Carla Kelly's backlist thanks to my MRMR visitors, and once I post this, I’ll be reading Miss Chartley’s Guided Tour and sipping some caffeine-free peach tea, which still tastes okay even if I had to use the nasty new tea kettle to brew it. What little thing do you just have to have to make things “just right?” Goldilocks and the bears below want to know.

Language is a cracked kettle on which we beat out tunes for bears to dance to, while all the time we long to move the stars to pity. ~Gustave Flaubert


13 comments:

The People History said...

being a creature of habit, I can not start the day without 2 cups of tea made with PG TIPS which I travel long distances to buy and from then on it's coffee the rest of the day ( instant Nescafe )

Of course as a brit living here in Wisconsin tea and coffee both need to be hot with milk and sugar

steve

marisa said...

Maggie, I so know what you mean. Some things need to be the way they are for a certain amount of comfort in one's life. I happen to be a coke-a-cola addict. But,and here's the thing- it MUST be ice cold and served in a can. No, it can not come from a plastic bottle, or a soda fountain, and can not have ice in it. So... all my dear friends and family who keep coke in the house for when I visit and serve it to me from a plastic bottle in a glass full of ice, well, quite frankly, while I appreciate the effort, it just ain't right.

Maggie Robinson said...

Welcome, Steve! Another tea fanatic here. My tea comes from Canada, and I'm going to have to order more online soon.

Marisa, Coke is indeed the Real Thing (Pepsi, pfft). I've switched over to Coke Zero which is not bad, but nothing beats a real Coke, which I must have a couple of times a week. But I'll drink it out of any container, LOL.

TiffinaC said...

I snap the kettle off the stove before it whistles too... Not sure why I don't just take the whistle out (It comes out)

And Maggie, I got my hands on some of that tea you so love... It's pretty good for a regular pekoe...but my heart is with the Black teas, and Earl Grey...(preferably black with the bergamot added)

terrio said...

My comfort is less a particular thing but more things must be in their place. Most everything has a home for me and I'm thinking I must have slight OCD because it makes me a little crazy if they are moved elsewhere.

Everything from the spot on the door where I keep my spaghetti sauce to the order in which my shower supplies sit on my shelf (in order of use in the shower of course). I'm thinking this is the reason I will never re-marry. I can't imagine finding anyone as anal retentive as I am. LOL!

MsHellion said...

Blankets. Not that I'm ever really cold, esp in this heat, but I think everything is comfortable and homey when there are blankets. But not just any blankets, but the ones with the satin edge on them?

And they have to be the right kind or I won't curl up with them. I'd rather curl up with a different kind of blanket altogether than the wrong kind of a satin edged blanket.

Some people collect pillows, but I collect blankets.

Maggie Robinson said...

Ooh, Hellion. When I was a little girl, I sucked my left thumb and scratched the satin off my blankets with my right hand until I shredded it. Don't know what that means, except I had to get braces eventually. I have my own blankets to mummify in too, separate from "our" blanket.

Terrio, I wish you'd come to my house and straighten me out. But i can't leave the bathroom unless the shower curtain is hung just so, so maybe there's hope for me.

Tiff, hope you enjoy the King Cole. My new tea kettle came today! Yay, except the mail carrier discovered me in my PJs and robe at 10:45 AM. I was going to tell her I was a writer...but she told me if she were home, she'd be slugging away unshowered and undressed, too! You'll be happy to know as of noontime I'm clean and clothed.

MsHellion said...

That was me as a kid. Finger sucker, wearing off edges of my blankets (like you a left hand sucker) and always in my underwear.

Strangely very little of the situation has changed, now that I think on it.

And I don't share "my" blanket either...how funny.

I'm like a girl Linus.

RevMelinda said...

I'm pretty wildly unregimented but I must have a bath before bed. I MUST. If I don't, I can't sleep--and anyway, the bathtub is where I do all my reading.

And I must have mayonnaise with turkey sandwiches and mustard with ham.

And I MUST have cornbread stuffing for Thanksgiving or I spend the whole next year sighing wistfully and regretting it.

Maggie Robinson said...

RevM, now I know what to serve you for dinner! I'm a bath person too, but for me it's in the morning if I have time, which I usually do. I don't have to be at school until 10:30.

Hellion, I'm with you until the underwear aspect! At my age more is less...disturbing.

RevMelinda said...

Now that I think of it, Maggie, you could probably do a whole "what kind of stuffing do you make at Thanksgiving" blog and I bet you wouldn't get any two answers that are the same, LOL.

terrio said...

On the blanket note - it cracked me up when Hellion was here because in the mornings it looked like some human sized cocoon had formed on my child's bed. In fact, she *attempted* to make the bed before she left. She essentially folding the sheet and comforter and placed them at the foot of the bed. LOL! The bed has fully recovered now.

Had I know I believe I do have one of those blankets with the satin along the top. I'd have dug it out!

Keira Soleore said...

OK, Maggie, I don't have anything erudite to contribute other than to say that I loved that Flaubert quote and how that tied the two items directly above it together. Very clever!