Saturday, August 9, 2008

Back in the Saddle Again


I have a zillion printed pages of Mistress by Midnight to go through with a fine-tooth comb, a red pen and a stack of stickies. I want to revise. I do. *snort* I've even started. But mostly I'm riding into the sunset (well, actually dawn---I write much better early in the morning) with my new WIP, Mistress by Mistake instead.
I always gallop in the beginning. The dust hasn't been kicked up, and there's no horsesh*t yet. Hi-Ho-Silver-Away! Silver isn't tarnished or lame or swaybacked in the middle. I wrote 15,000 words this week! I worry I'm like the John Travolta character in Phenomenon, who gets a burst of creativity and then croaks. Pray for me.
Here's a snippet. Remind me later to beat myself with a riding crop to finish. Set up: Our heroine Charlotte Fallon is mistaken for her sister Deborah, a notorious courtesan. (hence the title) Hilarity ensues. To sooth you from your icky thoughts, the hero Sir Michael has engaged the services of Deborah as his mistress but has not yet had the opportunity to seal the deal, so to speak.

As if she heard his thoughts, she stiffened beneath him. And then she screamed.

Ear-piercingly. Perhaps she had not recognized him when she woke. But honestly, who could she be expecting? She was his.

He looked up at her, suspicious. She gave him a look he’d seen only in battle, when the other side was hopelessly outnumbered, pushed beyond recklessness and there was nothing left to lose. He hoped very much that she was not sleeping with a French bayonet beneath the mattress.

“You! You!” she sputtered.

“Yes, my pet, it is I. I know I gave you no notice, but thank you for your very warm welcome last night. It was worth every minute of the harrowing six weeks we spent apart.” He set back to massaging her nipple again with his tongue.

She hit him on the head with a fist. “Get off me! This instant! You are much mistaken, Sir Michael. I am not Deborah.”

Was this some sort of fantasy? Perhaps she liked her loveplay rough. To be the reluctant virgin, he the barbarian conqueror. His ex-mistress Angelique had liked to play highwayman and victim, as he recalled. He was the victim, and a most willing one. He stood, and he delivered.

“I shall call you anything you like, sweet, but please don’t strike me again. It’s not a bit sporting when I don’t know the rules of your game. But I’m willing to learn.”

“This is not a game, you stupid man! Oh, I do beg your pardon! But you are under a severe misapprehension, sir.”

She was scrambling under him quite provocatively. Her skin was on fire for him, blushing most delightfully. And here he had thought La Fallon cool and a little calculating.

“Hush, my dove.” His lips captured hers and she squeaked. Soon he would make her sigh again. See, she was softening already. Her lips opened and he swept into the warmth. His tongue tangled with hers in a dance as old as time. He was fisting his cock to slide between her smooth thighs when she bit him.

***

Where are you now in your writing/reading? The bright beginning, the muddy middle, or the glue factory?

13 comments:

J.K. Coi said...

Love it Maggie. I am totally riding this horse with you to the end. I want to see every little crumb of snippet you'll throw my way!

And I'm definitely in the middle. But I totally figured out something while I was away camping. It's been a LONG time since I wrote longhand, but it helped to get me a new scene.

Janga said...

You know the snippet is just enough to whet my appetite for the full story, Maggie. And, as always, your writing is superb.

My problem is that I am a non-linear writer. Certain scenes come easily and are fun to write. I am in love with my characters, and I resent the minutiae of life that take me away from my story. Then I have to write what I call the "stitch-together scenes." These are much more work. I have to force myself to slog away, and often I am unhappy with what I have written. This part takes me forever. I like the honeymoon stage much better. :)

BernardL said...

Sorry Maggie, I'm an editing freak. One too many to's in this line. I liked your excerpt very much. I've never been as persistent as Sir Michael. One fist to the head and I'm out of there. :)

'He looked up at her, suspicious. She gave him a look he’d seen only in battle, when the other side was hopelessly outnumbered, pushed beyond recklessness and there was nothing 'to' left to lose. He hoped very much that she was not sleeping with a French bayonet beneath the mattress.'

I'm half done with a new book, and writing the final chapter in another; where like you, I raced to the end, but am now milling around. :)

Gillian Layne said...

Maggie, that excerpt is amazing. If that's an example of your first draft, then your revisions won't take any time at all.

And it's a brilliant idea to get going with the next story anyway. Step back and get away from the first one a while.

Maggie Robinson said...

Wow, go to McDonald's for some sweet tea (I know Janga---I'm sure yours is better. In fact, I'm sure McDonald's would kill to have your recipe) and there's a party without me.

Bernard, thanks for the great eye. Fixed. Hey, I've got 314 pages to edit---want to give it a go, LOL? Actually, I'm more than a third of the way through and the red pen has gotten a TON of action. More than Sir Michael is going to get. :)

Thanks, Gillian! After my love affair with the finished product last week, I already want to burn it. Distance might be required!

Janga, Mistress by Midnight was the first book I wrote in sequence. It was very strange.

JK, crumbs coming up, LOL. You want fries with that?

Tiffany Kenzie said...

God I love this story Maggie!!!!!!

Me, I'm in edits and reading catch up. I should start a new story... but I want to get through edits on HB

I wish I could edit as fast as you, it's going to take me at least a few months for HB.

skirbo said...

W00t!! Love that excerpt! Keep going, girly, can't wait to read the finished product.

Sarah

Elyssa Papa said...

I love this story and from the parts I've read, it's beyond amazing. I'm in love with Bay and everyone else will be, too.

And I'm in the mood for crumbs whenever.

RevMelinda said...

Oh Maggie! When can I read more? It is positively cruel to tease us like this with such a very little snippet . . .

Kelly Krysten said...

That was excellent, Maggie! I can't believe that was a first draft. My first draft winds up looking like someone died on it from all the red ink. I can't wait to read more of this story.

terrio said...

You are a phenom but not one that is going anywhere anytime soon. Unless it's to a booksigning. Love the snippet and I can't wait to see how much punishment Sir Michael is willing to take!

I don't want to talk about where I am. LOL! I'm still recovering healthwise. But this week it's back to the story.

irisheyes said...

Awesome snippet, Maggie. Can't wait to read the rest.

If I ever finished anything I would probably be bogged down in revisions. I have this "I think it can be a little better" mentality that seems to be slowing me down big time!

MsHellion said...

I'm at the bright beginning, but it feels like the glue factory. *LOL*