Monday, August 4, 2008

Take Five


You wonderful regular readers know I've been immersed in Mistress by Midnight since early spring. The first draft, all 93,000 words of it, is finished and I am beyond excited! I aimed to stop at 85,000 but something happened...kind of like when we had the perfect family with a boy and girl and then had two more girls. Those extra words are just as precious to me as the last two children---like the kids, they continue to surprise and delight me. Generally my endings are written well in advance, but that didn't happen this time. I wondered if there would ever be an ending.

In every other manuscript I've completed, there has been an element of self-sabotage. Unfaithful heroes? Books One and Two. Metafictional kitchen-sink craziness? Book Three. BDSM unpleasantness? Book Four (known in the Robinson house as "The Bad Book"). But Book Five---hey, I gotta tell you, I love it. Yes, there's angst, betrayal, pyramids, a secret baby and sheep, but I don't mind claiming authorship---at least until I go through revisions. We'll see if I'm still surprised and delighted then.


Maybe the fifth time is the charm.

The YouTube clip shows you what I've been using to inspire me. You now have a glimpse into my head (a very scary place to be). Enjoy. What's in your head this week? Check the post below for other August news!


14 comments:

Gillian Layne said...

Whoop, whoop, whoop!!!! That is just the very best Monday news!!!!! :)

Love that you-tube clip--how gorgeous! How on earth did you find it?

Tiffany Kenzie said...

WOOHOO ON finishing!!!!!!!!
And WHAT A Fine word count!

That's very pretty landscape. I never thought of looking on youtube for it. Hmmmm... interesting....

Maggie Robinson said...

Thanks, Gillian! I know, isn't it beautiful? So peaceful and calming, even the music.I just went to YouTube and typed in West Yorkshire dales---and there were lots of videos.I loved this one the best.

Tiff, I've done a lot of searching with Google images to get myself in the mood, but wow---nothing like film you can watch again and again. I think this will be a new way for me to get into the landscape. Off to look at Dorset!

Elyssa Papa said...

WOO-HOO!!!! YAY!!!!

I love YouTube---you really can find anything on there. I totally pictured Mistress by Midnight's setting; the sheep were adorable.

And you should be proud of this book---it's awesome.

skirbo said...

Congratulations, congratulations, congratulations!! You finished! That's a lot more than I can say about anything, so GOOD JOB!

Sarah

J.K. Coi said...

Congratulations on finishing a fabulous book! You were a tornado of writing enthusiasm there at the end too, I just wish it could have rubbed off on me a little more!

terrio said...

HUZZAH!!!! WTG, Maggie! I knew you could do it! Five cheers of hip hip hooray!!!

And that is a beautiful video. I need to hunt me up some YouTube inspiration! Well, for something other than my hottie crew. LOL!

Kelly Krysten said...

Congrats on finishing! Gosh, it seems like you just were talking about atarting it and now you're already finished. I need to learn to be more like you!:)

Maggie Robinson said...

Ha ha, Kelly. I don't advise you follow my writing career trajectory. I figure it took me about six months to work on it steadily, although I wrote the first few pages last October. Two books a year would be great. I am writing faster now---when I'm actually writing and not stuck.

Welcome back, Terri! I figured if I couldn't go to SF, I might as well do something worthwhile.And in my nightgown, too.*g*

JK,the tornado hasn't wound down yet...but I know it will, LOL.

Thanks, Ely! You've been such a help brainstorming.XXOO

Thanks, Sarah! Of course when I've thought books were "finished" before, I found out they weren't. We'll see what happens in revision.

RevMelinda said...

Maggie, congratulations! A whole book--a real book--a great book (I know it is). I am awestruck. You go girl! ::happy dancing::

Maggie Robinson said...

Thanks, Melinda---I hope you're right. We'll see. :)

irisheyes said...

Oh, Maggie, how awesome! I'm very excited for you. Sounds like you used your time this past week wisely.

I also love your You Tube video. Definitely makes me want to visit Yorkshire. I think it's a very appropriate piece of inspiration.

Maggie Robinson said...

Thanks, Irish. Makes me want to find my passport too.

Melissa said...

It's time to celebrate and do something for yourself. Take a spa, sleep-in, eat some bon-bon's, re-discover yourself and celebrate! Last month when I felt over-whelmed, I did some inspirational women reading that really helped me re-discover myself. I never would have found this amazing book on my own, but "The Pink Forest" by Dana Dorfman was perfect for what I needed.