Friday, February 6, 2009

We Interrupt this Broadcast


I woke up the other day---just another morning in Maine. Daughter #2 got us the handy-dandy L.L. Bean weather station which is perched on an old-fashioned oak icebox (very fitting) in the hallway. Without stepping outside and squinting, I could see it was minus 13 F. Daughter #1 got me ice creepers to put on my shoes for Christmas, because one morning I slipped under the car as I was brushing snow off it in my driveway. Daughter #3 put a pumice stone in my Christmas stocking for my dry wintry feet.

Enough. These feet are going barefoot during my school's February break. All the schools in Maine shut down for a week for the state basketball tournament. Yes, it's true. And the games are televised. For this old New Yorker, I couldn't quite comprehend it when my husband told me he'd been on television playing high school basketball a thousand years ago. But I've got videotape of Daughter #3 shooting baskets when she captained her high school team, and last year I got to watch my husband make announcements on TV when he served on the Maine Principals' Association tournament committee. Weird or what?
This year, no one's playing or announcing, so we're going to Key West to see Son #1 and Only, and all three girls (and one son-in-law) are sharing a condo with us at the Parrot Key Resort. I'm more than ready to be stunned by the paradisiacal gorgeousness. It will be the first time in over two years that the siblings will all be together. I can't wait.
Of course, the last time we went to Florida, there was an ice storm which completely screwed up our travel plans. I need you all to keep your fingers and toes crossed for me that Mother Nature behaves herself on the 16th. I don't care if we get trapped in some airport on the 20th, so you only have to pray for me once.
How do you feel about winter? Where's your ideal vacation spot? What should I order to drink?
A vacation is what you take when you can no longer take what you've been taking. ~Earl Wilson

9 comments:

Elyssa Papa said...

Ohhh, Maggie, you're going to have so much fun! That's so awesome that your whole family is able to go (poor son-in-law #2, who I'm assuming has to take care of work up in ME). Make sure you take lots of pics and relax.

I hate winter. I'm sick of the cold, the snow, the nasty wetness, and everything else about it. I don't care where vacation is, as long as it's warm and sunny and there's a beach nearby.

As to drinking, get one of those fruity ones with the mini-umbrellas. I love strawberry daiquiris. Yum.

Tiffany Chalmers said...

It's going to be a fab trip. That is amazing the the whole fam is going. Think of all us poor saps when you are gone. We are stuck in this dismal cold.

Drinks.... hmmmm.... I drink very little aside from wine. I guess you could try a white chilled wine since you won't freeze drinking it! Or you could have strawberry dacquari (sp?)! I love those, virgin of course because I don't do any hard liquors. okay that's a lie, I drink brandy and cognac. lol!

J.K. Coi said...

You'll have a blast, Maggie! All that sun, and family time--I wish I could go too. :)

Janga said...

Have a grand time, Maggie! Soak up enough sun to get you through the rest of the winter and delight in every minute with your family. As for the drink, for you, a writer in Key West, I vote for a Hemingway daiquiri.

irisheyes said...

I'm so excited for you Maggie! I don't know what's more fun - the warmth or all of the family in one place at one time! A tie!

My DH called me a couple of weeks ago and said I can get to a conference in San Antonio next month are you game?! I, of course, screamed YES!!!

I HATE Winter. I know hate is a strong word, but in the words of my daughter "Duh, that's why I'm using it!" I can't wait to get outta here. Already picking out some good books and trying to schedule my spa day. :)

Maggie Robinson said...

Ely, it was decided my s-i-l would stay home with Sadie, since Daufghter #1 travels two days and only really has one day to relax. I will miss them both, but now won't worry that Sadie will fall into one of the four pools.

Tiff, I used to love wine. Now it stuffs me up and makes me sleepy. Actually I don't drink much but tea, water and Coke Zero. I am a wild woman.

JK---we Vixens will have our retreat yet!

Janga, I know Sloppy Joe's sells a Hemingway Hammer---there's so much rum in it I'm sure I couldn't walk if I had one!

Irish,have a wonderful time in San Antonio. Daughter #2 has in-laws there and she says its beautiful. Anyplace warmer is better, although it's been in the 50s in Florida. It better warm up next week!

terrio said...

Have a great time in the Keys, Maggie! Sounds like a dream trip. Spring seems to be coming to Va Beach and I am SOOOO happy to have it. Only needed a light jacket yesterday and they are talking in the 70s for the next couple of days. Bring it on! (Ely, I have a beach nearby. Seven miles from my front door. Come on down! LOL!)

I'm thinking of planning a weekend in the Outer Banks soon. Sitting in a little house and watching nothing but waves (and maybe some surfers) sounds like just the thing I need right now.

And I'll agree with the drinks with little umbrellas. Aren't those required on a trip of this nature? LOL!

Kelly Krysten said...

I live in Florida. That pretty much means I have NO opinion about Winter because I see so little of it(if any!).
But I hope you have fun. That trip sounds special.
Order a margarita! You can NEVER go wrong with a margarita. Seriously!
I hope you have a great time.:) And I wish I lived in Maine. A week off for basketball. For reals??? Woah! I don't even like basketball but I would love that week off. Do you get Spring Break too?

Maggie Robinson said...

Kelly, yes, we get a spring break too. But we start school in August and usually have snow days to make up in June. We used to have a week in October---historically it was so kids could go harvest potatoes!!! But they've done away with that now. But this basketball business is crazy. A jillion people show up to the games, even when they have no kids playing. I swore once my guys got out of high school, i was never sitting on bleachers again, LOL.

Terri, I've been to the Outer Banks a couple of times and really liked it. I'm a huge ocean person. I hope you go! Spring comes so much sooner in VA---it will be forever before I see anything but white here. My Adirondack chair is somewhere under a mound of snow.