Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Blahg


My husband teases me that I'm got a family of squirrels in my head, chattering and pelting each other with acorns. It's perfectly true I feel very distracted. For someone who's a pantser in real life as well as writing, all of a sudden I've got to think of the future and organize the squirrels into formation. A cadre of them have taken revision notes from my Berkley editor Kate Seaver and are attempting to arrive at the same place in the manuscript by a significantly different route. Several artistic squirrels are contemplating favorite colors for a website design (Yay Frauke! Coming eventually: http://www.maggierobinson.net/). A few distinctly grumpy rodents are still doing laundry and cleaning the toilet and going to work every day, counting the days until summer vacation on their tiny paws. Some are working on proposal ideas for another Heat book. There is one mangy, desolate little furball who is curled up in a corner, forbidden to even think about Gemma and Andrew until Hart and Eden get squared away and sent again. And to top it off, they're all on nut rations, because the squirrels were getting awfully fuzzy. They've been drinking Slim-Fast instead of pina coladas and they are not in a celebratory mood. They're not rabid yet, but it's getting close, although collectively they've lost 5 pounds---a mere drop in the bucket of fuzz.

So writing a blog post becomes a challenge. There is not much to say except the squirrels are leaping from tree limb to tree limb, hoping they don't crash to earth. Squirrels don't bounce.

What are your squirrels up to?

10 comments:

Tiffany Chalmers w/a Tiffany Clare said...

Oy! My squirrels are busy, but not that busy... we are at the same place for building a website (with Frauke--she's great, btw). I'm currently ignoring HB to finish up my proposal of book two, before the revision letters comes for the first. Then I have a June 15 deadline for book one. Oh, there was that other ms, the non historical, tucked away that I promised to polish and send my agent's way. Uhm... I really hope that is all for now... because to think I'm forgetting something might cause me to chip a tooth for biting into the acorn the wrong way :)

I will say---I do love to keep busy!

terrio said...

Squirrels don't bounce.That is too funny.

I'm worried about my squirrels. They might be close to going on strike completely. They are overworked, underpaid, and exhausted. It's no wonder they have been eating all those Hershey bars and Ranch Doritoz. Not together, thankfully!

If you're trying to make us as-yet-unpubbed feel better, it's working. At least for this AYU (who is also as-yet-unmanuscripted :) ).

You'll pull it together and those squirrels in pearls will do beautifully. I have faith in them and you. Yay for the website!

Elyssa Papa said...

But all the squirrels are always so awesome. LOL. Right now, the huge squirrel in my head is the current book.

Maggie Robinson said...

Tiff, do you have dental insurance? ;)

Ely, thanks, but right now I think the squirrels have run amuck.

Terri,squirrels in pearls! I love it. I'm going to think of that every time I think they're getting out of control, LOL.

Janga said...

Right now my squirrels are strolling rather than scampering. They are recovering from a just-completed, past-the-deadline project and finding it an effort just to pick up a pecan. My hope is that a week's reading and Net playing will have restorative powers, and they will soon be scurrying in a dozen different directions again.

But your squirrels have such stored treasures to work with, Maggie. I'm sure they will become the epitome of creative, confident squirreldom.

Sarah Tormey said...

LOL! I discovered you blog through Tessa's and I'm so glad I did. I haven't laughed this loud in a while. My cat is giving me funny looks.

My squirrels are blogging about frogs (among other things today) when they should be packing for a wedding and cleaning the apartment.

I look forward to reading your work once you, the squirrels and your editors reach an agreement!

Maggie Robinson said...

Congrats on finishing your project, Janga! And have a piece of pecan pie for me. :)

Sarah, thanks for finding me! I'm off to read your blog on frogs (princes?).

Kate Diamond said...

My squirrels are busy, too. Today was supposed to be unadulterated writing time. So instead of working on my MS, I'm:

1) finally doing all that hand-wash laundry
2) eating WAY more Cheez-Its than I need to
3) catching up in the blogosphere
4) writing the last AP unit for this school year and
5) composing some letters to old friends

Kelly Krysten said...

My squirrels are giving a good stretch. They're so relieved the semester is over. I didn't write a single word(for the WIP) all semester. But I'm back and have rewritten a bit over 4000 words so far. I love writing again. And I really love this story I'm writing. Now the squirrels are chattering about my inability to take what's in my head and pour it onto the screen. Ah, well! I suppose I shouldn't have expected them to be so pleasant for long.lol.

Maggie Robinson said...

Kelly, congrats on getting through the semester. School can suck the life right out of you. I've got 19 more days before they let me out of the library. :)

Kate, one can NEVER eat too many Cheez-its. And thanks for stopping by the blog!