Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Castles in the Air


I've sent my revisions off and started a new book. A proposal, actually, for the second Berkley Heat book. Berkley Heat is, as the name implies, a hot line, which means I must cast my demure, shy, ladylike with pearls self into the corner. This gives me the opportunity to stretch my boundaries and give cause to my grandmother to spin in her grave. (Actually, now that I think of it, she was in an urn in my father's basement. Not quite sure where she is now. Oh dear.) I have settled on a seduction theme, although it will be unclear as to who is seducing whom. Paradise-soon-to-be-renamed is rather dark, but Any Wicked Thing/His Last Mistress (can't decide on a working title) is apt to be lighter. I've decided to go all-out and have a devilish duke and a crenellated castle on the Yorkshire moors. We'll see if my editor likes it or says ho-hum.
For a brief period of time, I considered an 1890s Maine-island-summer-colony-Gibson-girl-tortured artist book, but I worry that the era and location are not what's expected of historicals. And most everything else I've written is late Regency or 1820s England. What's your favorite historical period to read/write about? Would you pick up a historical that was set in Maine, or anywhere in the United States?



Oh, and thanks to Tiff, I have the perfect Sebastian Goddard, Duke of Roxbury to drool over! Even if his book doesn't get written, one picture is worth a thousand words. *g* Please advise: Any Wicked Thing or His Last Mistress?

11 comments:

Tiffany Chalmers w/a Tiffany Clare said...

Any Wicked Thing... cause that's what he can do to me! LOL

I usually avoid North American settings. I like most time periods from medieval through to late victorian... hell I'll taking the roaring 20's too! LOL

J.K. Coi said...

I like Any Wicked Thing

And I LOVE that pic!
But most of all this story is awesome now matter what the setting, I am loving the characters already

terrio said...

I like His Last Mistress, not sure why. Just like the sound of it.

I would love for American Historicals to come back around. Though for some reason most American set ones are set in the south. The Scarlet influence I'm sure. A story set in Maine would be interesting. I'd pick it up.

But then, once I saw your name on the cover, I'd pick it up no matter what. LOL!

Congrats on finishing the revisions and good luck with the proposal.

Elyssa Papa said...

I like His Last Mistress, too. Or you can marry the two and use: His Wicked Mistress. (Not very fond of "thing" in a title b/c it seems too broad.)

Kelly Krysten said...

I'm in love with georgian, regency, and victorian. My first WIP was a regency and I definitely have a firmer grasp on this period. But my new WIP and subsequent sequels are victorian. Lots of research will be going on after this second draft. Yep, I wrote the first and now second draft without really knowing what I'm talking about.LOL! I know, that's really bad!*sigh*

Good luck with the proposal!!

Maggie Robinson said...

Kelly, I love doing the research part. I stayed up way too late last night reading about castles and the medieval era---not that the book is medieval, but my heroine is apparently an expert, or so she told me. ;)

Terri, you're too sweet. Like Tiff, I'm not big on NA historicals (I remember a ton set in New Orleans) and I've never been a fan of Westerns, either in books or movies. No Oregon Trail for me.

Tiff, one of Jo Beverley's books was a partly Canadian-set Regency which I thought was an interesting and underused location, considering so many British soldiers were there. And thanks again for the inspiration.

JK, hope I can wrestle these characters and keep them likable. Sebastian is threatening to be an awful jerk, but Frederica will put him in his place. :)

Ely, I know what you mean about 'thing.' It's just that Freddie agrees to do 'any wicked thing,' and I just wondered if I shouldn't use it---she said it, after all.

Elyssa Papa said...

Oh, then use it since Freddie says it. :)

Janga said...

I'm sure I posted here yesterday. I think Blogger hates me.

I can't remember exactly what I said. I know I cast my vote for His Last Mistress. I like the ambiguity of it.

I would definitely read your Gibson Girl historical, Maggie. I'd love to see more American historicals, particularly some non-western ones.As for Canadian-set romances, one of the most unforgettable romances in all my reading is set in Canada: Benedict and Nancy Freedman's Mrs. Mike.

Maggie Robinson said...

Janga, Blogger hates everybody. :) I have to switch to WordPress once my website goes up, which I also don't like. I can never seem to get the pictures right...guess I'll actually have to read the tutorial, LOL. I like the late Victorian/Edwardian period, too. I learned an awful lot about it when I worked in that island historical society...someday I might make use of it!

PJ said...

Maggie, add my vote to "His Last Mistress".

I've read that Jo Bev book and I loved how she mixed the Canadian and English settings. I've read some good stories set in North America but it's been quite some time since I've seen one on the shelves. Maybe it's time for a resurgence?

Can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to picking up a book with your name on it!

Maggie Robinson said...

Thanks so much, PJ! And thanks for the vote, too.

The year ahead is going to crawl for me, LOL. It still doesn't seem quite real. It will make me happy when I know what Paradise is going to be called, and that might help too in picking out the second title if they like the proposal. So many uncertainties...but life is full of them!