Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Sin-chronicity


For fun, I went back to my old blog posts to discover when I realized I had a series on my hands. It was June 8, 2008. Go ahead. Click on the link and refresh your memory. I'll wait.
Hi again! When I wrote that paragraph in Mistress by Midnight, it was like everything else I write---it just happened. I like the term organic, which implies some sort of natural, healthy growth. We all know it means disorganized and half-crazy. As you know, I'm a pantser of mega-organic proportions,and I find my mind to be a mysteriously strange and fertile thing. So often, I've dropped a psychic hint or planted a useful seed or whatever you want to call it that suddenly makes sense later and takes the story in a new direction. So while Midnight will be Book Two in the Courtesan Court series in December 2010, I wrote it first and owe it everything. And how good is it to go from June 2008 to June 2009 and have the books wrapped up in a pretty Kensington Brava package? It's sinfully good!

I submitted my proposal for the second Berkley Heat Margaret Rowe book. This is where my organic pantser-ness has a downside. Write a synopsis before I've written the book? How the heck do I know what's going to happen, LOL. That means trying to tame those squirrels in my brain, and they have resisted. The delivery date on the manuscript (Any Wicked Thing for now) is next February. Let's hope my editor likes it so I can plot and plod along---and the squirrels cooperate and don't eat up all the seeds.
Here's an introduction to my very naughty hero, Sebastian Goddard, Duke of Roxbury:
The answer to all of Sebastian Goddard’s problems is right in front of him. He needs money and someone to bend to his dark fantasies, and there is Frederica Ward, all grown up, mostly willing and rich as sin.

Sebastian would recognize sin---he’s spent over a decade indulging in all manner of it, sometimes so thoroughly it’s impaired his memory. Ten years ago, he ruined his father the Duke of Roxbury’s ward, although he has no absolutely recollection of the event. Sebastian may be the duke now, but he’s dead broke thanks to his father’s obsession with medieval miscellany. He hasn’t thought of his childhood friend in years, but since her fate is in his hands, he begins to see a way out of his financial predicament and into her bed.

Plotter or pantser? Plantser? Do you dread deadlines? Do you work on more than one WIP at a time? What sinfully good stuff is happening in your life?

12 comments:

Elyssa Papa said...

I am still wowed that Midnight & series was a year ago. You flew with the writing of these.

You know I'm loving the God of Sin. ;)

Pantser. Dread deadlines---am so wicked scared about that aspect. Alas, nothing sinfully good is happening in my life.

J.K. Coi said...

"Sebastian would recognize sin---he’s spent over a decade indulging in all manner of it, sometimes so thoroughly it’s impaired his memory."

I love that sentence, Sebastian is so deliciously wicked :)

I've always been a pantser myself too, but lately the writers blocks are getting to be too annoying, so I actually started an outline for my new UF idea. The outline itself is coming along slowly, as I'm trying to put together all the nuances, plot twists and turns of this whole book when I usually just start writing and "wing it", but so far I am actually enjoying it.

Maggie Robinson w/a Margaret Rowe said...

Thanks, Kris and Ely! I'm getting awfully fond of Sebastian myself. Between him and Andrew, what's a girl to do?

(Ely, waving magic wand. Sprinkling fairy godmother dust. *****)

MistyJo said...

Oooo, Sebastian sounds delectable. Maggie, you have my devout attention.

Nothing sinfully good going on in my life either. Must be the summer heat.

Maggie Robinson w/a Margaret Rowe said...

Oh, Misty, I wish it were hot here. It's rained for a month and we had the heat on last night!!!

Janga said...

I agree with Misty. Sebastian sounds luscious.

I think I'm a plotster--or whatever the term is for those who combine elements of the panster and the plotter. I don't plot, but I do have extensive preliminary notes on my characters before I start writing. So I never exactly "sail into the mist," to borrow Jo Bev's term.

Tiffany Chalmers w/a Tiffany Clare said...

Sinfully good is going to my first RWA National YIPEE!!!!!!!!!!

And holy cow, three books you wrote in less than a year! Now that is amazing.

Plantser now. I now have to write my synopses before I write the whole book! WAAAA!!!!!!!!!

Sebastian is mine, ladies! Hands off... Andrew too. I called dibs when he intro'd in MBM3! :)

Maggie Robinson w/a Margaret Rowe said...

Ha, Tiff, it was really 13 months, but I didn't realize I was doing mistresses until I was 2/3 of the way thru.

Janga, plotser, planster...all I know is that I need to be much more structured, LOL. Actual notes you can read???

terrio said...

I cannot wait to get my hands on your books! This reminds me of Historicals I read in the 90s that really had wicked men. Completely unapologetic about it too. Gah! So good!

I have no idea what I am. LOL! I've only been back to the writing for three days and the words flowed on Monday, but I sort of had a jumping off point for. I'm finding each scene has to ruminate in my brain for at least 24 hours, which is not good for getting words on the page.

I'm considering trying the outline route. Something loose and unstructured, but that gives me a map to follow. Who knows what will work, I'm so far behind. :(

Maggie Robinson w/a Margaret Rowe said...

Woohoo Terri for getting back in the saddle again! You must be so relieved school is over, and life might even become somewhat manageable. Congrats again on your degree!

terrio said...

Thanks, Maggie. Funny how now that I have a lot more time, I have a lot more to do. How did that happen?!?!

I'm hoping to get lots of words down this weekend. Fingers crossed.

suzi said...

Blogs are so interactive where we get lots of informative on any topics...... nice job keep it up !!
________________________

Buy term papers